Sunday, September 2, 2012

This is college.

Yeah Stitch is with me, so?!
My dorm room is all organized and now has that perfect lived-in-mess that makes it feel like home.
My roommates are cool and vary in range on the party scale so we balance each other out.
There's at least one party going on somewhere on campus.
And my last paycheck will be mailed in signaling my soon-to-be-brokeness.
I'm a college student.
So, how is the Nebraska native faring in the streets of Chicago?

Well that's a little hard to answer just one sentence long.
I. Daaah Lincoln Park Campus
If I'm talking to a fellow Nebraskan the Lincoln Park Campus can only be compared to one place, The Old Market. Except 20 times bigger and 30 times better. There are things to do, places to go, and food to eat EVERYWHERE!  In fact, getting lost is the means by which I've found a dozen hidden gems among beautifully decaying town homes. Of course, placed among these jewels are pieces of DePaul. Still, I don't quite feel like I'm in "college town" or just "the city", it's a great balance of the two.
II. Daaaah Loop Campus
This is what you're probably imagining. Downtown Chicago, heavy traffic, power suits and power walking, skyscrapers, hot dog vendors, and hobos singing. I only have two classes there for the Autumn quarter but because I'm a journalism major I'll probably be there often since the College of Communication is there. I've been downtown a decent amount of times in my life, but it's still a lot to take in. It's easy to get lost, but the grid system allows you to find out where you are since every street is N/S and E/W.
III. Daaaah dorms
Well more like apartment for me, but the atmosphere is still much like a dorm. 1237 West is affiliated housing that makes you sell your soul as payment*, but since it's right by the campus, has 24 hour security, and gives you both privacy and ease to socialize, I guess I'll have to pay the price.  I've been to at least one party each night since I moved in. Everyone knows I don't drink or smoke** but I'm smart enough to know that until classes start, it's the only way I'm going to meet people. And since I'm sober I have a better chance of remembering people's names, giving them the right number, and not puking on their shirts.
*Seriously, it's super nice, but ridiculously priced for the individual. Expect a whole blog on it later. If you're wondering why I'm here in the first place, refer to This DePaul dame is dormless.
**Ladies, please do not think the only way to have fun, or connect with party goers is to damage your livers. People - even college students - even BOYS - won't care if you do or don't. It takes a lot of strength to avoid alcohol and drugs and they will respect you for it. And if the jerk face comes along and throws a fit over it, he's just mad he has to go find a personality and work to get in your pants instead of getting you drunk. And if a girl throws a fit, she's just upset you're not whoring-it-up with her.
IV. Daaaah classes
HA! I still don't start class till Wednesday the 5th!
V. Daaaah people
What's so sad about Bellevue is the main reason why it's more diverse than other cities in Nebraska is because it's right next to the military base. This makes it a military community and therefore attracts a plethora of ethnicities. Still, go to the neighboring town and it's whitey-central. (No offense to you whities, it ain't ya fault.)
So it's sooooooo refreshing to see an entire city so diverse! The students on campus come from so many different places, and they each have their own stories.
And okay ladies, I won't drag it out any longer.
The guys are pretty nice* too.
*Okay, so here's the thing. I'm comparing pretty much everything to Bellevue, if not, the other Bellevue-look-a-like places I've lived throughout my 18 years of life. So, for me in the town I grew up in, the guys are average at best and rarely measure up to 6 feet. Yes, I'm only 5'4.5 (5'5.5 when my roots grow out again) but can I rock the new pumps I got 50% off when the guy next to me is only 5'8? I feel manly enough with my attitude by itself let alone towering over dudes. I don't know why this is. Genetics, migrating patterns, something in the water, but few seem to grow**. So imagine my surprise when many of even just freshmen students are attractive and high heel-acceptable height. And guess what else? They can act for themselves. He wants to get your attention? He'll hold the elevator for you. He wants to know your name? He'll introduce himself. He wants to get to know you? He'll start up a conversation. Even when I'm at a party and I decline a drink, he's interested why and wants to know my story. Again, never have I met so many guys willing to put in work.
**Man am I being mean or what?! You know what they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but ugliness is too much to try to behold.
This is,
MAB


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me somethin' good...or not. I just love Chaka Khan.