Saturday, September 15, 2012

This is about fashion.

gloves Top Shop
I consider myself to be a pretty logical person. And logically, clothes should matter no more than to aid survival and keep us from being arrested.
But ever since I could fully recognize my appearance in a reflection, I've loved fashion.
I have my mom to thank. For a long while I was her shopping buddy. She taught me the basics, what matched, what didn't, the importance of having different kinds of pieces in your closet, and of course the joy of clearance racks.
While many elementary children still had their moms take out school clothes, I was putting together outfits by the 3rd grade - an accomplishment that does matter thank you!
But those were simpler days when there were no rules nor money to care about.
Now (and now especially as an unemployed college student) being a fashionista isn't as easy.

There are pros and cons.

Back home in high school many students rarely dressed up at school. With good reason too! Besides obviously waking up late in the mornings and the freezing school temperature, who was there to impress?
Now in the city I'm surrounded by people walking the streets in the cutest attire. (Seriously I want to take pictures, but that would just be weird...but I won't rule it out).
Guess who can finally break out the hoards of clothes and shoes that have been collecting dust in the closet? Some things still have tags on them for goodness sake!
Then comes the bummer.
Everything is so freakin expensive!
Sales tax in Chicago is 9.5%, now factor that into an already tight budget and you're left in a clearance section that even this broke girl can't afford.
vest H&M
Ms Jadah, sweater H&M
So when I head to the loop with my dear cousin and unofficial lil sister (also a freshman, high school) my mouth waters as I walk through Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, Forever 21, and the long awaited, highly anticipated Top Shop.
As I pass the leather jackets, oversized sweaters begging to be accessorized, and platform pumps I'm telling myself that I have to make some good money when I get older.
(That doesn't mean I have to make major money. I just have to delay the three kids and white picket fence, and since I already have two nephews the wait should be pretty easy.)

I guess it's all just motivation to stay ambitious and working hard.
What better place is there for my major? Chicago is full of internships!
If I'm blessed enough in the future to land a writing title at a magazine I might well be on my way to Top Shop shopping sprees (and completing my dream music and movie collection).
Hell, maybe I'll even score some freebies along the way.
Until then I'll be here, still cutting out magazine editorials and compiling my own look books.
Oh, and creepin on people in the streets to document their outfits.
I know I'm not alone out there.
This is,
MAB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me somethin' good...or not. I just love Chaka Khan.