Wednesday, September 5, 2012

This is about my first day of class. This is Part II.

I wouldn't call my life awkward. Not that the word doesn't fit, but I feel it's so overused.
To me, awkward is applied to the small things that have a big enough emotional effect to make me feel uncomfortable for an extended amount of time.
Like MTV's "Awkward.". I love the show, but accidentally announcing that you want to have sex with your boyfriend through the PA system isn't awkward, it's devastating.
That being clarified let me narrate my overanalyzed experience to my first ever class in the Loop, traveling solo.

Everything started great.
I had my headphones in*, Pandora app loading The Doors station, got on the right train, and got off at the right stop.
*Tip to any country bumpkin visiting the city. Always preload your music. Spending time untangling headphones and scrolling through your library to find what you want to listen to is not only awkward, but an opportunity for some jerk face to jack your phone/iPod/music device and dip at the next stop. My uncle taught me that :)
The doors opened at Jackson and I got off.
Then I turned right.
Then I turned left.
Then I turned right and walked a ways.
Then I turned left and did a pirate crows nest survey of that side.
Then I walked left a ways.
Then I looked right one last time.
Then I continued going left praying to God that this was the right direction to come up on Jackson and State street.
It was.
So I thanked God.
It was 1:26pm and I power walked across the street, jumped in the elevator to the eighth floor, and found my class.
Of course it was a smaller class and dead quiet. And since I was barely on time, all the outside seats are taken**. So I did the cha-cha slide down the first row to reach the one empty seat in the middle and tried to get settled down as quietly as I could.
**What the hell people! Seriously, stop blocking the end of the row! No one wants to have to choose either to slap your head with their butt or crotch just to reach the one seat in the middle. I don't see any serial killer-looking people, nor smell any extreme odors.  Go sit by the next person. You don't even have to say anything, or even look their way. Just sit down and do you. Goodness.
Then I look over at the girl to my right. She has a notebook out for notes like most of the students, but beneath it is a textbook.
You see, I've been trying to find the freaking textbook for this class but could not find one shred of info on which to get. So I figured we'd get info in class.
We did of course, after we found out that we have a reading assignment due Monday.
Finally class gets out and I need to find a bathroom. Don't see any on the floor I'm on so I decide to go across the street to the DePaul Center. I finally find some bathrooms and the door is locked. They're for retail associates only.
Then I turned around to head out.
Then I accidentally glance at a man (maybe late 20's, not bad looking either) who's looking in my direction.
Then I immediately look away, as is custom.
Then I'm thinking "Wait, was he looking at me, or behind me?"
Then I make the mistake of glancing again.
Then I'm thinking "Nope. He's looking directly into my eyeballs."
Then, thanks to my JCPenney customer service training, I give a smile and a nod.
Then I'm thinking "Honey, what are you doing?!"
Then I looked away and bolted towards the doors as fast as I casually could.
Back on the train trying not to think about restrooms, when I realize the old white man sitting on my right keeps looking sideways at me. Then I realize that the old black lady sitting on my left keeps glancing to.
Then I'm thinking "Seriously is there a big fat booger hanging out my nose or what?"
I get off at Fullerton and power walk to 1237.
A nice guy holds the elevator for me and tries to...I assume start a conversation?
I had my headphones in so it starts with me saying "Huh, what, hold on."
He mumbles something about an open house at the Loop.
I have no idea what he's talking about. Mainly because he was talking in statements.
Are you asking me if I know about it?
Are you asking me if it is today?
Are you asking me if I'm going?
So I quickly say "Oh, I don't know. I'm not going."
I hurry to my place where I'm greeted by the one of three roomies that didn't have class today.
She's beyond bored.
So I tell her my story.
This is,
MAB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me somethin' good...or not. I just love Chaka Khan.