Saturday, July 14, 2012

This DePaul dame is dormless.

That's right.
This average braud is enrolled as an incoming freshman to DePaul University.
As excited as I am about campus life, internships, downtown Chicago, and being close to my extended family, my enthusiasm is becoming overshadowed by my fear of being dormless.
I got this cute little postcard giving me a 'Friendly Reminder' of my current situation.
"Dear Olivia, In case you were enjoying your young life worry free, we would like to remind you that so far you will be starting your freshman year dormless. Enjoy your summer!"
My last weeks of summer are quickly dissipating and I can't help but fear that I'll start off the school year in some shady building just off campus...

The rooms have no doors, the community bathrooms have only one working toilet, cockroaches hide in desk drawers, and there is a creepy man on every floor that looks too old to still be a college student and constantly peeks out of his room that has no light whatsoever.
Or maybe the rooms will just be small, the community bathrooms will lack enough privacy, a few daddy long-legs will die in the corner, and a slightly socially-off man will occasionally give you a weird look.
Still, this freshman is scared.
Orientation is later this month and I'll be spending the night in one of the dorms which will give me a chance to see them in person (which will be documented), but it just might be in vain.
So I had a thought when I went thrifting with a friend.
The store had three adorable floral chairs for $10 each and we both agreed that if we had our own apartment they would be purchased on the spot.
My own apartment?
The thought is ridiculous of course. I barely have money in the bank to cover my total school expenses even with the generous scholarship from the university factored in.
But once I had the thought, the dream gears in my head (I blame their production on Disney movies) began to create chateau de Olivia...
I wake up in my bed against the window that overlooks the city. On to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee in my 'this is a coffee mug' mug (a dash of skim milk and a crap ton of sugar). I turn on some music and have a full on dress-up montage in my tiny closet before just wearing a t-shirt and jeans. I twirl into the living room, finishing off the rest of my coffee, grab my bag, and skip to the door. But wait! I forgot my phone. I take my phone off the charger, but before leaving I take another good look out the window. I breathe in the magic that is the many possibilities of my successful future in the air. Then I'm off to my first class of the day.
Real nice, right?
But even if I was blessed enough to afford an apartment by my senior year, it would still involve two other roommates, a difficult shower, and a sketchy neighborhood. 
Still, that sounds like a dream compared to the other fears scampering around in my head.

I'm being dramatic of course. It'll all work out by the time the school year starts.
What could possibly go wrong...
This is,
MAB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me somethin' good...or not. I just love Chaka Khan.