Tuesday, July 3, 2012

This is about music.

Stitch's Selection
I walked into Best Buy originally to see if they had any works of Robert Townsend for my dad.
(For those who don't have much color, never heard the catchy but somewhat derogatory jingle "Only on the W.B.!" sang by a frog, or never watched Disney Channel back when it was hosted by cartoon robots, Townsend is a black actor, comedian, and director most famous for his movie Hollywood Shuffle, TV series The Parent 'Hood, and to 90's babies Up, Up, and Away.)
But when I passed the music section a Prince and The Revolution CD caught my eye. The sign above the shelves labeled everything below as discount music. So I put my phone and car keys in my purse and got in my shopaholic stance - wide stance, knees slightly bent, fingers flexed, and peripheral vision turned to the max to see if other customers are entreating on your treasures...or possible treasures once you look in that area - and began to peruse through CD's.
A guy strolled up just seconds later seeing the sale sign, flipped through a few on a lower shelf, then walked away.
Now normally a professional shopper, such as myself, would be delighted by this retreat, but I couldn't help but feel the CD's rejection. 
There was some good stuff here, some as cheap as $5. Foo Fighters, Stevie Wonder, Christina Aguilera, even The Monkeys.
Even if you've only heard of the name, you have to have some respect for where music has been. After all if so-and-so's dad hadn't been listening to say, The Beatles, with so-and-so in the backseat, so-and-so wouldn't have been inspired to pick up a guitar, join a band, and make platinum records that define a generation.
Now don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those obnoxious people who stick up their nose saying "I think music has been spiraling down the toilet after 1998" or "I don't like music that doesn't sound man-made" or "I only listen to-" names off three bands that no one has ever heard of so when you ask "Who?" said person replies "Of course you don't know."
But music snobs do have a point: no one should drown in the mainstream.
Sure, when I'm driving with my friends, windows down, sun shining and "Starships" comes on the radio, we're gonna wild out.
But underneath the strong and inevitable current of the mainstream is the underground, and while many of the artists beneath may not want to see the light, the people who can hear them definitely do.
So, what do you do?
If you like what you hear, buy it. The artists who have Top 10 hits, a video on every music channel, their face on every magazine cover, and cameo spots on every big budget movie can probably afford a bootleg download or two. Or should I say, the big-time corporate record execs can afford the steal.
The underground artist needs your business, and to compensate the money and time you invested to purchase their work, you get the CD, lyrics, poster, and cover art all conveniently wrapped up in a plastic case. (And vinyl is even more intimate if you have a record player around).
It's music, art, and room decor.
But I feel like I've lost my point.
Oh - there it is.
In order to get where music is going, listen to where it's been. And in the midst of your searching beneath the current you could come up with some priceless gems.
What did I shovel out?
The Estatic by Mos Def (the last of the discography under the name Mos Def)
No Doubt: Icon by No Doubt (just a compilation of 15 singles)
No Jacket Required by Phil Collins (for my dad, sadly there weren't anymore copies)
This is,
MAB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me somethin' good...or not. I just love Chaka Khan.