Tuesday, January 21, 2014

This is about responsible-college-student stupidity.

5:10pm
Right now I'm sitting in a class I'm not enrolled in.

Yes, this is the kind of crazy college recklessness I'm getting into.


Tuesdays I have an afternoon class and a night class, so today I've decided to entertain myself by attending LGBTQ History from the 1920's On with my friend/coworker/fellow struggling journalism major.

The professor is adorable. Maybe a couple inches over five feet, grey haired, and speaks with a giggly, rambling, slightly hoarse voice.

"If you want to keep something out of the radar you have to resort to erasure."

e - ra - sure [ih-rey-sher] (n): an act or instance of erasing

Am I boring you?

Well now you know where I was sitting sometime in December while I was home on break answering all the basic college-kid-is-back-home questions:

How was the train ride back here?

How did you do in your classes?

How long are you home?

You cut off all your hair?!

But one of my coworkers surprised me with her question.

"Soooo…." in a quieter voice so customers need not hear "Any exciting stories for me?"

NO ONE asked me for an exciting story. Well - at least not any mothers.

A normal college kid would pause for a second as all the ridiculous situations, premeditated and unmeditated, passed before them. They would settle on the least frightening, and still blot out some key hairy details.

This college kid paused for a second as all the work - school work - work work - blog work - gym work - food work - sleep work - more food work, passed before me. I had no story.

There it was. The young woman who's life code is to understand and appreciate my own story before I begin to seek, understand, and appreciate others' - has no story.

I guess I've been so focused on finding stories that I forgot to make my own.

I admitted to my coworker that I had just been really focused on school and my two jobs. She smiled at me as if she knew exactly where I was in my head at that moment.

"Go do something stupid next quarter!" Her eyes got big. "Well - nothing too stupid like drugs or illegal stuff - you're too pretty for that - but go do something!"

A little not-illegal-or-drug-based stupidity?

One of my dad's favorite lines echoes in my head: "If you're gonna be stupid - be smart!"

So I'm sitting in on this class.

I gotta start somewhere right?

This is,
MAB



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me somethin' good...or not. I just love Chaka Khan.